Sunday, February 21, 2010

Olympic Speed Knitting

What is it about the Winter Olympic games that I find so fascinating? I'm not really a big fan of snow and ice, and I hate being cold. As a child I loved winter, and spent many hours playing in the snow. And let's face it, in Canada if you didn't have your skates with you, you may as well not even go to school. Recesses and lunch hours were always spent on the ice.

Every evening of this past week has found me in front of the television, captivated by the artistry of the figure skaters, breathless as the skiers flew down the impossibly steep slopes, and gasping at the acrobatics of the snowboarders. And let's not forget beautiful Apolo Ohno. Sigh.

Oh yes, and knitting. All that snow and ice has made me really happy for my sock addiction. I cast on my next socks with a beautiful blue mix Arauncania during the opening ceremonies; a couple nights ago I turned the heels, so now I'm in the home stretch up to the cuff. Lovely soft yarn, in my first interpretation of a gansey pattern — a mix of purl stitch chevrons, lace ribs and cables. Will probably do these again in a more solid color, but I like the way these are looking. And they feel really good too.

I've tried to compile my own "medal count" of projects I completed last year, hoping to match or exceed that number this year. Here's the list:
11 pairs of socks (all but the first 2 of my own design)
12 helmet liners
1 1/2 lace scarves (the 1/2 is still on my needles)
1 lace shawlette
9 hats and 3 scarves for a charity group in Canada
2 more hats for Christmas presents
and 2 paintings in my "Color Still Life" series (but more on that later)


So far this year:
Dude, Where'd You Get That Hat in green and blue
Cable Hat in white
1 Helmet Liner
Garter Stitch Scarf in white
Blue Cable Cashmere Socks
Grey Lace Socks
Blue Gansey Socks in progress
Wedding Shawl in progress
Leafy Lace Fingerless Gloves in progress
And one more painting in progress. 
Whew! Maybe it's a good thing the Winter Games come 'round only once every four years.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, you need to go for the Gold!
    What a great list, wish I could be as prolific
    p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hate to start the day with a groaner, but why be inconsistent?
    My first thought is... "What a yarn!" So forgive me, please and pat yourself on the back for your focus, your admirable passion and a ton of really beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete