Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sky Blue Pink

As a child, whenever I would ask my father the color of something, his reply was always "sky blue pink". That name seems particularly apropos for this time of year, when it seems the world has been painted by a master pastellist. And, of course, it has been.

This past Monday was like Christmas in, well, March. I had ordered a few things online – a yarn swift, some yarn (naturally), and a new copy of Bob Dylan's Biograph. (My original copy, a gift from when it was first released in the late '80s, had been played so many times it was now unplayable. And how can I get by without my favorite Dylan songs?). When I arrived home Monday evening, I found they had all been delivered that same day!

I set to work immediately, using my new swift to hold a hank of my new gorgeously soft Malabrigo Lace yarn in the most beautiful pale blue, destined to become my Featherweight Cardigan (Hannah Fetig's pattern which I had recently fallen in love with). I cast on later that evening...



I had finally finished the Brown Tweed Gansey Socks, and though they're a little Fall-ish in color, they are pretty comfortable since the temperatures have been a bit cool. 


They would have come in very handy on Saturday morning, when I went out to the Botanic Gardens to photograph the cherry trees, now in full beautiful bloom. I was there at sunrise, and although the trees were breathtaking, it was pretty chilly. After a few minutes my hands were almost numb. And the cotton socks I was wearing were already damp from the dew on the grass. Wool socks would have been so much better. What was I thinking?



Oh well, did get some nice shots...





...and then some pics of my neighbor's lovely tulip magnolia...



The rest of the day was spent digging in the garden again. I think the major digging is done (for now) and most of what's left is distribution of the big pile of mulch that's taking up my parking spot in the driveway. And nursing my sore muscles.

This morning it was time once again to turn my attention to the Wedding Shawl. The rows are getting so long now that I can't complete a full repeat during my weekly viewing of CBS Sunday Morning, where there was a segment today about knitting with Mo Rocca (very funny guy). Anyway, just a few more rows and it will be time to start the transition into the rather deep border pattern. I like the way the pearls graduate from none to one to two and so on...


This afternoon I painted, making some more progress on Romance, and then talked on the phone with my sister in Canada, where Spring is just barely beginning to show with crocuses and snowdrops. Hm-m-m, I should make her some wool socks.

It's been a lovely weekend, all sky blue pink. And when I drive home from work tomorrow evening, I'll be listening to Bob Dylan. Probably Tangled Up In Blue.


2 comments:

  1. I distinctly remember you saying on your inaugural blog post that words were not your friends-but it seems that you are too modest or what we are witnessing is the beginning of a beautiful friendship-
    I am so enjoying your blog- it is definitely sky blue pink-

    I've been thinking about you as I watch my peonies push up past all of the crap (justification: it insulates them) in the garden- but keep your fingers crossed my boy dog, Django, has apparently misunderstood me calling them by name- He thinks they are called "pee on these"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeannie for your words of encouragement. I've really been enjoying doing this blog, and it has become a personal challenge to post something every week.

    Hope your peonies survive; they are one of my favorite flowers (if there is such a thing!). I once had a cat named Peabody...

    ReplyDelete